Facilities and features
Click on the tags below to learn more about each.
Asisstence dogs area welcome in St Michaels.
National Grid Reference:
SK 20544 22076
SK22SW TATENHILL MAIN STREET (east side )
6/89 Church of St Michael 12.3.1964
Parish church. C13 core substantially altered and extended C15; restored by Bodley circa 1890. Coursed, dressed and squared sandstone, tiled roof. Tower, nave and chancel. TOWER: C15 of 3 stages; diagonal buttresses of 3 stages to west only; string. set at buttresses head level; moulded coved string below crenellated parapet. Labelled 2-light pointed bell chamber openings with panel tracery; single-light to centre stage south; round-arched 4-light west window has transoms with round arches to lights. NAVE: of C13 fabric; 4 bays divided by 3-stage buttresses; deep square-head, cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows with arched lights; 2 Tudor-arched single lights over late C19 timber framed gabled porch; south door C13 steeply arched, fillet mouldings on 3 tiers of columns; pointed door to north side opposite. CHANCEL: lower than nave, mainly C15, of 3 bays (larger east bay), again divided by 3-stage buttresses, deeply rebated, 3-centred-arched cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows; trefoil heads to lights and some panel tracery; cills continued as strings; restored S- light pointed east window; pointed Priest door under centre bay, south side. INTERIOR: pointed moulded arch to chancel, C19 nave roof with tie, king post and diagonal braces to boarding with circle motifs. CHANCEL: brat ti shed ties and ogee bracing to trusses, boarding with cusped decoration. Floor in black and white marble of Bodley's design, stepped down to chancel. PULPIT: in oak with figures also late C19. FONT: C13, stone circular bowl dying into columns at base. Piscina and sedilia, trefoil-headed of 4 bays.
MONUMENTS: Mrs Griffiths, died 1641, stone; kneeling woman set between pilasters under break fronted cornices and oval panel below. GLASS: East window by Ward & Hughes.
Music and Worship
Groups, Courses and Activities
Help for Visitors
A detailed booklet on the history and artefacts of the church is available in the building.
The Church is open every Wednesday between 9.00 am and 1:00 pm for those who want to come and look around.
Outside of this time an appointment to visit can be made by contacting the Church Wardens on [email protected]
Our Harvest Gifts and a Reverse Advent Calendar are focussed on supporting the Burton on Trent YMCA Foodbank..
St Michael & All Angels sits in the Tatenhill Conservation area.