A history of the churchSt. Mary the Virgin, Calton (Staffordshire)
There has been a place of worship on the site since the 16th Century. The church was rebuilt in 1762 and subsequently restored in 1875. It consists of a nave and sanctuary with the additions of a vestry, South porch and balcony (in which the organ is now situated). It is built of local limestone with gritstone quoins and details. The roof is covered by plain blue Staffordshire tiles. There is a capped, wooden bell fleche at the West end containing one bell.
The church contains some ornate, Jacobean altar rails; a copy of a painting by Murillo of "The Two Trinities' ("The Holy Family'); another entitled "The Great Sacrifice'; a memorial to the fallen of the Great War; some 20th Century painted glass and a charity board.
Outside in the South wall there is a clock dating from the late 19th Century and in the churchyard there is a sundial (listed grade 2).
St. Mary's has High Church fittings with a tabernacle for reservation of the Blessed Sacrament, sanctuary lamp and stations of the cross. There are a number of statues: one of Christ in Glory, one of Our Lady, a Madonna and Child, one of St. Joseph and one of St. Francis. Behind the pulpit are the figures from the old rood screen: a crucifix flanked by Our Lady and St. John. There are three painted glass windows: a Madonna and Child; Jesus, the Good Shepherd; and an East window with scenes from Our Lord's nativity and passion, surmounted by Christ in Majesty.