A history of the churchAll Saints', Grindon (Staffordshire)
The origins of the church of All Saints' lie in the 11th Century when a chapel of ease was built to St. Bertram's, Ilam. There were many changes over the years, but the present building was completed in 1848 in the gothic style to a design by the Francis brothers.
The church has a splendid octaganal broached spire which is a landmark for miles around. Indeed All Saints' has been known for generations as "The Cathedral of the Moorlands'. The tower houses three 16th Century bells from the previous church and around the walls are five 18th Century information boards detailing local charities. The church also possesses two mediaeval charnel coffins and a Saxon font. The organ was built in 1840 for Dresden Parish Church and was moved to Grindon in 1953.
Of more recent significance are the memorials to the crew and passengers of the RAF Halifax which crashed in the blizzards of February 1947 whilst bringing supplies to the stranded villagers of the Moorlands. These include brass plaques and a remarkable embroidery by Andrew Barlow of the world famous Leek Embroiderers' Guild.
All Saints' serves the village of Grindon and a scattered farming community comprising 212 people. It is cherished as the place where faith, history and belonging combine in the worship of Almighty God.