The church building is entirely of 1856 by S. Pountney Smith, which replaced a medieval building. It is built of tooled Grinshill sandstone ashlar. The chancel and nave are in one, with a south chapel and a narrow north aisle. There is a timber framed south porch. Towards the road the gable end of the chancel displays a wheel window over three lancets. There are patterned tiles throughout the church. In the windows there is 16th and 17th century glass from the Netherlands and Germany, and the square panels in the lancets in the south of the nave came from Einsiedeln Abbey in Switzerland, two of which are date 1579 and 1658. (See Pevsner)
The churchyard is a conservation area and has won awards from the Diocese of Lichfield.
Perhaps the most interesting fact about this church is that Wilfred Owen, the well-known first world war poet, used to attend it, crossing the river from Shrewsbury in a coracle!