Although not mentioned in the Doomsday Book there seems little doubt that the original church was built in about the year 1090. The church was enlarged in about the year 1200 when the present fine arcades were positioned where the outer walls formerly stood. History has little to relate about the fortunes of the church until the momentous years of the Civil War when, in 1645, during the siege of the Royalists in the adjoining Manor House (now the Hall), it suffered considerable damage.
In the year 1689 it was recorded that a peal of four bells was already hanging in the belfry, two more were added seventeen years later, and the last two were hung in 1812. The bells have been restored on a number of occasions since then. This fine peal of bells is rung regularly throughout the year. In 1998 a new bell-ringing floor was installed creating an area for kitchen and toilet facilities below.
The church contains many fine examples of stained glass, an impressive candelabrum, and an effigy of a crusader thought to date from 1300, amongst many other interesting features. A fuller history is available in church for visitors.
High Ercall Primary School is situated close to the church and has close links with the church, there is a Pre-school on the same site.
We welcome visitors to our church, which has a lively pattern of modern and traditional services. Visitors of all denominations are always welcome to share fully in communion.