Burton church continues to serve the people of Burton as it has done for over 900 years. Our congregation has grown significantly during recent years and we now have two services each month.
There is much of interest for visitors, both in the church and the surrounding countryside. The church is always open during the hours of daylight. Pevsner describes the building as 'lovable and unrestored, one of the mellowest in Sussex.' There is a Norman nave and chancel, with evidence of herring-bone work in the outer north wall. The windows mostly seem to date from a restoration in 1636, when the royal coat of arms was painted on the south wall, curtly telling us to 'Obey them that have the rule over you' - the Civil War is not far off. The east window is C19th and perhaps a little harsh.
The interior is crowded with period pews and tombs of the Goring family, one with brasses and a fine Sussex marble canopy. There is evidence of both mediaeval and Reformation wallpainting, in particular the Commandments on the timpanum above the rood screen (Perpendicular in date and complete apart from the rood, of course). There are also grave slabs in the floor.
Music is provided by a harmonium, one of two in the benefice, the other being in Barlavington church.
The church will be closed for roof repairs between 22nd May 2017 and 7th July 2017. Regular services will be transferred to St Mary's Barlavington.