St Mary the Virgin Clymping
The church was built by John of Clymping about 1230 who was Rector from about 1223. He was later Bishop of Chichester from 1253 until 1262 and was involved in the building of the Cathedral. For a village church it was large - the nave and chancel together being nearly 100 feet long.
The south transept was included in the design to connect the nave with the tower thus becoming an integral part of the building and a balance with the north transept. Stone was imported from quarries in Caen in Normandy. It is quite possible that the masons, like the stone, came from Normandy.
There are a number of memorial windows which are of local interest.
Two standards are laid up; one of the Royal Naval Association and one of the Royal Air Force Association. The wooden plaque is for HMS Peregrine, the Royal Naval Air Station at Ford during World War II. The churchyard contains a memorial to 28 service personnel and civilians who died in an air raid on 18 August 1940. There are also a number of war graves which are maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
The chancel is unusually large, thirty feet long and very impressive in its overall proportions. The lancet windows at the east have a particularly fine setting and were installed in 1921 in memory of men who died in World War I and also of the Reverend Henry Green, Vicar from 1888 to 1918. The richly coloured glass in the rose window depicting the Virgin and Child is modem, by John Baker of Canterbury. It was installed in 1959.
The pulpit dates from the 14th century but its carved design echoes the architecture of the church.
The north transept, or the Chapel of Jesus, named because of the paintings by Heywood Hardy depicting the life of Christ. This was a controversial series of biblical scenes portraying Christ walking in the Sussex countryside, surrounded by recognisable contemporary village dignitaries. These panels were painted to mark the 700th anniversary of Clymping Church.
Pews were first installed in the early 15th century; some pew ends in the front are original, dating from about 1420.
The font is late 14th century.