Compton is one of the churches of the Octagon parish. The first documentary evidence of a Church here is found in the Doomsday Survey of 1086. The present church is the outcome of a sensitive restoration in the 1850’s but the late 12th century North arcade and chancel arch are still visible. The church – like all the churches in the Octagon – is normally open during daylight hours.
The church, which is light and airy, can hold some 160 in comfort and more with enthusiasm. The graveyard, still with space, is maintained as a place for quiet contemplation in a country setting.
The organ by H Willis & Son was installed in 1970. There is a monthly family service, and (when we have a vicar) an eight o’clock communion on Wednesdays during the school term. The link between Church and Compton and UpMarden C of E school is strong, and the church is regularly used by the school for assemblies, services and festivals.
For more information about the history and architecture of this church, click HERE.