St Clement's Church is one of two ancient churches (the other is All Saints Church) that form the Old Town Parish of Hastings. St Clement;s can trace it's origins back to 1080 AD although it was ravaged by the French in 1339 and again in 1377 and was rebuilt in 1380.
It has many interesting features including a 15th century font depicting the Passion of Christ and two magnificent chandeliers - one of which was presented by the Hastings Barons of the Cinque Ports who raised the funds for the purchase by selling the canopy and silver staves held above George 111 at his coronation in 1761. The other chandelier was purchased by the Townsmen of Hastings.
St Clement;s has two beautiful East End stained glass windows - the work of Philip Cole which replaced the original windows which were blown out by bomb blast in the Second World War when a German bomb demolished the Old Swann Inn in the High Street dating back to 1309.
Dante Gabriel Rossetti, poet and artist, married Elizabeth Siddall in St Clements in 1860.
We offer a warm welcome to all visitors at our Parish Eucharist each Sunday which takes place either in All Saints' or St Clement's church on a four monthly rotating basis.
Sunday Service Times:
8am - Holy Communion (Book of Common Prayer)
10am - Parish Eucharist (Common Worship)
(On the first Sunday of the month, there is an evening service at 6pm, with the format varying from Evensong to Taize worship)
For a full calendar of services and events, please see our webiste: www.oldtownparishhastings.org.uk