St Michael's is mentioned in the Domesday Survey, and sits near the summit of the plateau in which much of the parish of Playden is found.
The present building was constructed about 1190, and its spire is a landmark overlooking the Rye and Romney Marsh. The church is built of stone, has a tiled roof and an attractive cedar shingled spire, which is topped by a lead cross. It is thought to be an excellent example of the Norman, Early English style and comprises a chancel, nave, central tower, vestry and south porch. The aisles extend north and south of the tower.
For further details copy/paste the URL www.playden.east-sussex.co.uk/directory/281/playden-church