The Original Church of the Good shepherd affectionately known as the "tin Hut" was opened by the Bishop of Lewes on 8th November 1936 after it had been donated by the Vicar of the Good Shepherd, Brighton.
The church was originally a cook house and mess room at the Military Camp at Shoreham Airport and had become surplus after the Great War. It was dismantled and re-erected as a temporary building in Dyke Road, as the Church of the Good Shepherd. Work started in 1935-36 building a permanent Church of the Good Shepherd in Dyke Road, Brighton on the site
The Priest of St Nicholas, Portslade , heard that the ‘tin hut’ was to be dumped and he offered to move it from Dyke Road to Mile Oak.
As Mile Oak grew, the Tin Hut was replaced and the new Church was dedicated by the Bishop of Chichester on Saturday 28th October 1967. We were a part of the Parish of St Nicolas for many years, until, The Church was consecrated as a Parish Church by the then Bishop of Chichester, The Rt. Revd. Eric Kemp, in 1994. This changed our 'status' from that of Conventional District to a fully fledged Parish Church.