Church of England Diocese of Chichester Henfield with Shermanbury and Woodmancote

About Us

St Giles’, Shermanbury, part of the united parish of Henfield, with Shermanbury and Woodmancote,  is tucked away in a park half a mile from the nearest public road on the bank of the River Adur about 2 miles North of Henfield and is one of the oldest and most interesting churches in West Sussex. It is described in the Domesday Book as a ‘ecclesiola at Salmonsberie’; the Anglo-Saxon name then prevailing. Strong evidence of its Norman heritage was discovered when carvings were found in 1901, which were investigated by a known archeologist who dated them to 1135. The list of Rectors goes back without a break to 1288 and the church is famous for its box pews inscribed with the names of surrounding houses.