Church of St Mary and St Peter, Wilmington
The church of St Mary and St Peter is 12th Century and was founded, with the neighbouring Priory, by Benedictine monks. The unusually long chancel has stone seating along the walls where the monks would have sat for services. A 1,600 year-old yew tree stands in the churchyard, and the church has a particularly fine Jacobean pulpit, dating from 1610. The north chapel has a beautiful ‘Bee and Butterfly’ stained glass window that was installed to replace one destroyed by a fire in 2002.