About the church
Built: 1903 - 04
Architect: Philip A Robson
Listing: grade C
The church, consecrated in October 1904, forms part of the South Germans Estate built by Cameron Corbett as part of the development of South London.
The architect thought that the atmospheric conditions prevailing at the time meant that much external ornamentation was a waste, so he gave it a certain reticent dignity and reserved his best decoration for the interior.
The style is, according to the architect, 'an adaptation of fourteenth century English Gothic', known as 'decorated', but the symbolism attached to this style has been treated in a manner more suited to the period of its construction.