We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Mark's church can be found at the far end of The Street, next to Englefield House and close to one of the last surviving deer parks in Berkshire. Although situated within Englefield Estate it is a public place of worship. Sunday service is traditional Anglican, using Common Worship with the BCP used on the first Sunday in the month. On Sunday mornings there is a crèche (0-3 years) and Sunday Club (4-10 years) in term time. The congregation is made up of villagers as well as many who live locally. It has weekly bell ringing and choir practices. The Resident Priest is the Reverend Nick Wynne-Jones.
The church building consists of a tower and a spire, nave, south aisle, chancel and north aisle (or Englefield chapel). The earliest part of the church dates from about 1190, when the Norman was giving way to the Early English style of architecture.
The arcade and east window in the aisle date from early 13th century; considered to be the finest examples of that period of architecture in Berkshire. Extensive restoration was implemented by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1857. In 1869 the tower was added in 13th century style, surmounted by a stone broach spire. Notable features include a memorial to Sir Thomas Englefield, Speaker of the House of Commons (1510), and a monument to the Marquis of Winchester (1598-1675) who defended Basing House during the Civil War with epitaph by John Dryden.
Off The Street
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below