St John the Evangelist is a chapel of ease in the the Parish of Longcot with Fernham in the Shrivenham & Ashbury Benefice.
We are in the process of appointing a new Incumbent, who will live in Shrivenham.
The Ministry Team consists of a House for Duty Priest/Associate Vicar, Revd Norma Fergusson who lives in Ashbury, two Licensed Lay Ministers, two retired clergy, and an Authorised Minister. There are other lay members who help lead Family Worship and Morning Prayer.
Four Sunday services are held every month – a combination of Holy Communion, Morning Worship and Evensong.
St John the Evangelist was built in 1860. It underwent major renovation, including a new roof, in 2008-2009 and subsidiary work was completed in 2012. It is now leased and managed by a local community group, the Fernham Village Trust (FVT), as a village hall and a centre of worship. It hosts a range of activities including a daily nursery school, as well as maintaining a regular pattern of Sunday worship. The 30 year lease was signed between the FVT and the Diocese in 2009 and maintenance obligations are shared.