Construction of the nave of this church started around 1100 and the tower was added in the 15th century. The bells, which have recently been refurbished, are over 300 years old but the bell case was constructed when the tower was built.
The church has one of the earliest examples of a 14th century pulpit, carved out of one piece of solid oak. From this pulpit John Wesley preached his first recorded sermon after his ordination, on 3 October 1725. The pews at the rear of the church are original and date back to the 16th century. The various floor levels give the church a quaint charm
This lovely building, which has outlasted the original village for which it was built, is one of the few examples in the country of a church in its ancient form, with no electricity or organ. The last major restoration took place in 1887.