Well worth a visit, this pretty village church was rebuilt using flint in 1845-6 on the site of the previous chapel, which dates back to Norman times. It has attractive stained glass windows and a bell tower in an open western turret containing a bell 3 inches thick and weighing half a ton.
There is a small, neat gallery at one end of the church, a stone pulpit and font decorated with illuminated text. Wooden rafters support the roof, bearing shields depicting the four apostles.
The churchyard contains some ancient tombstones, one dating back as far as 1780 and a peaceful Garden of Remembrance. Spring and early summer find the churchyard at its best, with a colourful array of flowers flourishing on its grassy slopes.
In 1982, the PCC began conservation management in the churchyard and by 1994, certain parts, mainly in the southeast corner, were designated wildlife conservation areas.
Careful management of these areas has allowed older chalkland grasses and flowers to flourish, and at one time, over 170 different species could be found, as well as a haven for field mice, frogs and hedgehogs.
A detailed History of St Leonard's is available in the church.
A Friends of St Leonard's association is operating for those who want to help maintain this pretty country church. A suggested subscription is £5 pa, but larger donations are welcomed. For details, email [email protected]
St Leonard's is usually open daily, but please see the notices for details.