Church of England Diocese of Chelmsford Stanford Rivers

Opening

We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information

01277 532770

Getting here

 

 

History

The church was begun in about 1150 in the Norman style with walls of flint and rubble. The chancel was rebuilt in the mid-14th century. The bay roof of the nave dates from the 15th century. The inside of the church is remarkably light; five original Norman windows still exist. The oak benches at the back of the nave date from the 15th century. The communion rail was installed in 1683 when the then Archdeacon ordered that the communion table be railed in. The font of Barnack stone dates from the 13th century. There is a 1492 chrisom brass - a plaque to Thomas Greville, who died within a month of baptism. The original 15th century North and South porches were incorporated into vestries - the West porch, added in 1812, is now the main entrance to the church.

School Road
Stanford Rivers

If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below