This lovely church (built in 1870 on an osier bed) was designed by Frederic Chancellor, with a super-confident catslide roof over the south aisle. The simple interior has wonderfully precise brickwork, a lovely arcade to the south aisle and windows of cathedral glass. It has a fine acoustic for the spoken word. The unstable ground led to the demolition of the east end, and for many years the tower was believed unsafe for bell-ringing, but now our fine peal of 6 bells (the lightest of its type in Essex) rings out joyfully again. Statues of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John guard the corners of the tower.
Inside we treasure the memorial to Rev’d Arthur Shearly Cripps, vicar here twice, who is revered as virtually a saint in Zimbabwe where he served as missionary. We also have Rolls of Duty & Honour listing villagers who volunteered to serve in WWI. It’s a happy church and services involve the local school and pre-school children and their familes. All are welcome!
Please note: we share services and events with St Mary & St Lawrence, Great Waltham, and St Nicholas, Chignal Smealy.