Church of England Diocese of Chelmsford Hockley

About Us

A church dedicated to St Peter and St Paul has stood proudly in her present position, overlooking the Crouch valley, since at least 1220. It is very possible a church existed on the site in Saxon times as mention is made in The Domesday Book. Lovingly maintained, the church retains much of architectural and historical interest.

Ours is certainly an ancient building with a long history (our present church building dates from 1220, 800 years old this year; a previous structure is even recorded in the Domesday Book!), but it is no mere monument to the past; it houses a living church community, one which both recalls and proclaims afresh the faith which defines and gives life to us. Ours in an ancient faith to which we seek to give new expression, a faith which available to all.