About the churchBuilt: 1956
Architect: Ralph Covell
Listing: not listed
The buildings comprise a church with baptistry beneath the west gallery; north-east lady chapel; vestries and office/meeting room accessed via corridors; hall complex (with stage, lobby, toilets, kitchen, flower room and stores); all set in a small churchyard. The complex was designed by Ralph Covell, and built by Halliday and Greenwood in 1956.
The main body of the church consists of a nave and chancel under a continuous pitched roof surmounted by a fleche with north and south aisles. The hall roof is also pitched; there are areas of flat roof elsewhere.
The previous church was a G G Scott church dating from 1874-7, which was demolished after World War II following serious bomb damage. This church is described in The Buildings of England, London 2: South as "one of the noblest Gothic Revival buildings of its date, by no means a copy of anything of the past, though it is in the spirit of the C14".