We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
Wickham Bishops forms a United Benefice with the parish of Little Braxted. With only 120 people in the parish it may well be one of the smallest parishes in the country. Little Braxted is a small parish, on the east side of the river Blackwater, one mile east of Witham.
This delightful little church attracts many visitors from all over the world. Fr Ernest Geldart who was priest there 1881-1900 extended, re-ordered and highly decorated the church.
The ancient church of St.Nicholas is situated about one and half miles from the centre of the village. St Nicholas Church, built about 1120, is a small Norman structure, with a wooden belfry and two bells. An old Norman semicircular apsis forms the chancel but the porch is of wood in the Tudor style.
The church has a small, faithful congregation of between 6 and 8 people. However, the visitors book shows that people from as far as Australia & South Africa have visited the church.
Seating a capacity of about 50, at a squeeze, the church can be full at the Midnight service, when the church is lit by over 100 candles. A sight well worth seeing.
We are a small faith community and are committed to maintaining a Christian presence in the village, with a special focus of preserving this very special building for generations to come".
Little Braxted Lane
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below