St Andrew, Stoke Dry is a much-loved parish church. There is evidence of its 10th Century foundation and much of the present building dates from the 13th and 14th Century. There was a late-Victorian restoration, carried out with a light touch. It is chiefly noted for the wall-paintings, especially those in the Digby chantry chapel. Sir Everard Digby was involved in the Gunpowder Plot. Following his execution the family was deprived of its land in Stoke Dry. There is a tradition that the plotters met in the small room over the porch, but this is without foundation.
There are monuments to the Digby family in the church. One is adjacent to the altar and gives a slightly off-centre feel to the chancel. There is also a parish bier. Stoke Dry has minimal electric lighting and the Candle-lit Christmas Carol Service is one of the highlights of the year, attracting a congregation well in excess of the population (32)
St Andrew, Stoke Dry, always welcomes visitors. We are very happy to welcome organised visits to the church and can offer a talk on the life of the church, a short recital to show the 1810 Henry Lincoln organ. If you would like to bring a group to Stoke Dry the please contact the vicar through this website.