Open during daylight hours
The original 12th century building consisted of a chancel, nave and mid tower, from which the present church has developed; the north aisle was added about 1200. Some 20 years later the upper part of the tower and spire were added. Beginning in 1340 the building was virtually reconstructed to its present appearance. Work was abruptly stopped half way through owing to the black death, and it was not until about 1370 that the hastily constructed temporary west wall was removed and work continued. The porch was rebuilt in 1622 and again in 1880. In 1699 a singing gallery was inserted at the west end of the nave. The chancel was restored in 1863 and the nave a year later.
There are five bells, of 1598, 1616, 1622 and two of 1931.
There is a fine triple sedelia of the 14th century. In the nave is a mural monument to several lords of the manor from 1650 to 1761. There is a 14th entury coffin lid in the chancel.
(Source: Churches of Rutland published by Spiegl Press)
Today the church provides a focal point for the village, offering a variety of worship and social events. It is part of a group of seven parishes and with active lay ministry plays an important part in the life of Glaston. The church is kept open during daylight hours and everyone is welcome within its walls and grounds.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below