Church of England Diocese of Peterborough St John the Evangelist Caldecott

About Us

This small and interesting church dates from the 13thcentury. There is a small Norman window reset in the chancel wall. The south porch is dated 1648 and the organ chamber was added in 1908. There was once a Sanctus bellcote – an unusual feature in the area – but this was damaged and removed in 1976. A substantial rebuilding of the chancel and restoration of the nave was carried out about 1865 as well as a more recent refurbishment.

The tower and spire is perpendicular in style. In 1797 the spire was struck by lightning and subsequently rebuilt. Unfortunately, some of the ironwork used in this rebuilding had deteriorated and this led to substantial restoration, carried out a few years ago. 

The organ was built by Taylor of Leicester and, according to Hilary Davidson’s book Choirs, bands and Organs, cost £323 in 1910. 

St John the Evangelist, Caldecott, is a warm and welcoming church set in a well-kept churchyard. Whilst we do not provide a formal creche, children are always welcome. There is an all-age service on the second Sunday of each month.
 

.