We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Mary's Church was built in the 11th or 12th century, and is possibly the oldest building in the district. In 1846 it was rebuilt under the supervision of the Lancaster architects Sharpe and Paley, who maintained its original Norman style of architecture.
St Mary's is constructed in limestone rubble, with gritstone dressings and a stone slate roof. Its plan consists of a five-bay nave with a north aisle and a south porch, and a three-bay chancel with a north vestry. On the west gable of the nave is a double bellcote. The east window has three lights. Internally there is an arcade between the nave and the north aisle. The two western arches of the arcade date from the early Norman period, and the two eastern arches are from the 14th century. The bowl of the font is also possibly Norman.
The Church is a Grade II listed building. Two 18th-century chest tombs in the churchyard are also listed.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below