About this churchBuilt: 1819 - 21
Architect: George Smith
Listing: grade 2*
The church was rebuilt in 1819-21 incorporating the original Saxon tower base, the stonework of which can still be seen with its narrow door and adjacent piscina. It is an austere building externally rendered in Roman cement with simple mouldings. The main decoration comprises carved stone caps to the pinnacles and a variety of cast heads at the base of drip moulds and on buttresses at the west end.
Internally its basilica form is emphasised by a soaring elegant nave and tall aisles all with vaulted ceilings as has the chancel and high altar. The tower is terminated in four rendered pinnacles with lead covered caps and granite parapet copings.