The original church on the present site was consecrated in 1838 as a chapel of ease to the ancient parish of Harbourne. Four years later the parish was divided into two, and Holy Trinity became a parish church in its own right.
Smethwick grew rapidly in the second half of the 19th century. In 1888 most of the original church was rebuilt, using much of the Tixall stone, but on a larger scale to seat over 8000 people. Until Smethwick lost its status as a County Borough in 1966, Holy Trinity had a major involvement in the civic life of the borough and the Civic Service was held here on 'Mayor's Sunday' every year.
A major reordering of the church took place in 1975. The plans were drawn up by David Bryant, a long-standing member of the congregation and partner in the firm T. Dunkley Hogg Architacts. The seating in the church was much reduced and the interior of the building adapted to include a parish hall, vestry, foyer, kitchen and toilet facilities.
In 1978 the parishes of Holy Trinity and the neighbouring St Alban's were united, with the Holy Trinity building as the parish church. The parish was further enlarged by the addition in 1992 of St Paul's parish, West Smethwick, and in 1998 of St Stephen and St Michael's. to form the new Parish of the Resurrection, Smethwick.
The last amalgamation resulted in a second reordering of the building under the supervision of Christopher Thomas Architects, Warley. The choir stalls and the pipe organ were removed, the pews replaced by chairs and the side chapel separated from the main church by a glass screen. A number of the artefacts from the constituent churches were incorporated.
Today we have a congregation that seeks to be welcoming and inclusive, that seeks to honour the fullest possible breadth of traditions from world music, to incense, dance to sung eucharist, encouraging exploration of faith by all ages and understandings of faith and no faith. We aspire to be a church where there is room for all.