Welcome to you for Church is alive and active. For you are the Church, the building blocks of Gods missionary people. Many of us cannot gather - but we can still worship and pray: online, at home, outdoors and in Church buildings. Our church building has been a place of worship since 1855 and we are open and meet for Worship each Sunday at 10am. During the special seasons of the year: Christmas, Holy Week and All Souls Day; we meet on additional days and in the evenings.
Here are some prayers that you may find helpful:
A prayer during Difficult Times Keep us, good Lord, under the shadow of your mercy in this time of uncertainty and distress. Sustain and support the anxious and fearful, and lift up all who are brought low; that we may rejoice in your comfort knowing that nothing can separate us from your love in Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.
A prayer for family and friends Loving God, bless my family, my friends and all in my heart today. May they be safe and well and kept close to your peace and love. Help me to know that you are with me as I show love and care to others. Amen.
A prayer for those who are sad Dear God, you walk with us in the valley of the shadow of death. Draw close with your comfort to all who are sad today, especially those who miss N. Thank you for all that he/she meant, and all that he/she gave to us. Help us to remember him/her well and to trust that he/she is at peace with you. Amen.
A prayer in times of grief Loving God, help me to know that the person I miss so much is now with you. Help me to know your comfort when I am sad, your presence when I am lonely, your peace when I am angry or afraid. Give me courage to face each day and help me to see signs of hope. Amen.
The Lord's prayer: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done; on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.
When our building is closed: the people of God (the Church) are still at work. Our clergy, ministers and congregation are maintaining their lives of prayer and providing service to those in need during this difficult time. So, if you are in need of spiritual care or pastoral support please make contact with us either via email from this website (see the Get In Touch - on the left side panel) or by getting in touch by phone (see About Us - on left side panel, for this information). Our ministry team prays daily for a number of world, UK and local issues, people and concerns.
If you know people who have NO INTERNET and are NOT ABLE TO USE online spiritual support services:
- Tell them about the free 24 hour Daily Hope phone line which they can ring on 0800 804 8044 to hear hymns, reflections and prayers with a welcome form the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- Tell them about the Sunday radio and TV services and thoughts for the day.
- Give them our contact details if they want them. You can find these in the "About Us" and "Get in Touch" sections.
On this website you will find lots of resources to help you to maintain your spiritual life. These include:
- Online services led by Lucy, our priest-in-charge. These services can be used daily, weekly and monthly.
- You can also find a free downloadable Daily Prayers booklet produced by the Church Of England to use at home attached below.
- If you prefer something simpler see our "A Simple Form of Daily Prayer".
- Some of you may prefer our services of Celtic Prayer Service or Healing Service.
For those of you who want to join other forms of online prayer and worship:
- Apart from this site we also have a St Matthew with St Chad Facebook page.
- Our Birmingham Cathedral page offers a range of weekly on-line services that you can read more about and access links for.
- There is a national Church on the Church of England website with lots of resources: https://www.churchofengland.org
- There are live and recorded services on the Church of England Face book page: https://www.facebook.com/thechurchofengland
- There are also live and recorded services on the Diocese of Birmingham and Cathedral of Birmingham websites and facebook pages
- You may also like to look out for services at other Churches too.