We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
Shustoke is first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, when it was held by a Saxon, Sot, from Geoffrey de Wirce, a Norman lord. It is very difficult to date precisely the building of a medieval church such as St Cuthbert’s. From architectural evidence it is most probable that the Nave and Chancel were erected during the first thirty years of the fourteenth century, while the Tower and the Spire were added sometime in the following century. Sir William Dugdale, himself buried in the Chancel of St Cuthbert’s, believed that the church was built during the reign of Edward II (1307-27).
The Weathercock was made by Richard Snape the village smith in 1762 at the cost of £2 2s. The Clock was installed in 1921 in memory of those from the parish who had fallen during the Great War.
We are a friendly, welcoming church who meet each Sunday at 9.30am with coffee (and often fabulous homemade cake) afterwards. We welcome many wedding couples throughout the year and enjoy getting to know them.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below