About the churchBuilt: 1914/1933
Architect: Adshead & Ramsay
Listing: grade 2
St Anselm's Church, designed by Adshead and Ramsey and built partly before and partly after the First World War, is located on the West side of Kennington Cross. It is a large, slightly gaunt brick box, which draws its inspiration from the form of the Roman Basilica, surrounded by a series of smaller, lower spaces.
The Church is constructed of yellow stock bricks, and has pitched roofs covered in Italian tiles. Externally, it is discoloured by the London grime and the feeling of austerity is increased by the simply detailed windows, doors and other architectural features. Inside however, the large, united nave and chancel is light and airy.