About the churchBuilt: 1822 - 25
Architect: Francis Bedford
Listing: grade 2*
The church occupies a prominent site at the south end of Norwood Road, where it forks to become Knights Hill and Norwood High Street.
Originally, the building was endowed with box pews, galleries and a triple decker pulpit. However, in 1871-2 it was extensively remodelled to plans by G E Street, who divided the interior into a nave and aisles by arcades of an Italian Romanesque style. Over the years, various stained glass windows have also been added. Further changes from 1976 onwards have converted the chancel into halls, toilets and a kitchen. The pews are now arranged to focus on the worship leaders and preacher.
Everyone has their own ideas about what church buildings should look like. St Luke's provides plenty to talk about on this subject. But a church is more than a building. It involves people. People with a faith in Jesus Christ.
The best test of whether changes to a church building are good or bad is: "do they help us worship God?"
You are very welcome to come along at 10.30 on any Sunday morning to find out more.