About the churchBuilt: 1831 - 35
Architect: Lewis Vulliamy
Listing: grade 2
The major part or the church was built in 1831-6 to the design of Lewis Vulliamy. It was extended in 1904-5 by Arthur Grove, forming the chancel, Lady Chapel, vestry and sacristy; and again in 1980-81 by Dry Hastwell Butlin Bicknell for the meeting room and residential accommodation.
Of particular interest are the remains of the once larger collection of nineteenth and early twentieth century furnishings, carving, painted decoration and fittings.
The building volumes comprise:
A wide, lofty, flat-ceilinged nave, approached either from the west porch, or from the hall lobby, via a narthex formed under the gallery running across the width of the west end of the nave; originally accessed also from the south-west and north-west porches, the latter now partly kitchen, and both having staircases up to the gallery.
Over the porches are two upper galleries, north and south, both disused; their access stairs; and the bell Chamber and spire.
To the east of the nave, the chancel, flanked to the south by the Lady Chapel, and to the north by the organ chamber with loft over. Beyond the organ chamber are in turn, the sacristy, the sacristy lobby with cloakroom, flower room, and the vestry.
To the north of the nave, and linked both to the north-west porch and vestry by lobbies, is the meeting hall, with toilet facilities. Over the vestry, cloakroom/flower room and sacristy is residential accommodation, with independent access.