The Third Marquis of Salisbury built St Luke’s as a cemetery church in 1877. As Newtown (the first new town) developed, regular Sunday services started in 1888. In 1893 the chapel was converted to a cruciform plan church.
The font was originally in a Wesleyan Chapel, which was used as a furniture store, and was reinstated in St Luke’s church before the Second World War.
The building is of a simple form with ashlar stone facing and a clay tiled roof. Internally there is considerable use of wood, including an exposed roof structure, dado panelling organ housing and pews.
It is a grade 2 listed building.