St Nicholas is the ancient Parish Church of Stevenage. The Saxon church on this site was replaced by a Norman one in about 1100 AD, but the only remaining part of this is the great, thick-walled flint tower. The church structure has been partially rebuilt so many times that it is a patchwork of nine centuries of local endeavour.
As the New Town was developed after the Second World War, more churches were built and now the town is divided into nine Anglican parishes. The present parish of St Nicholas covers an area across the north of the town, and encompasses a total population in excess of 18,000. This is set to grow with the development of the Great Ashby residential area, to the north of the parish.
The Parishes of St Nicholas and Graveley now form a united benefice, the Vicar of St Nicholas also being Rector of St Mary's, Graveley.
Inside St Nicholas Church there are many items of interest: the ancient stone font with medieval carved wooden cover; a magnificent carved reredos dating from around 1890, the medieval rood screen rediscovered in 1841, having been lost since the time of the Reformation; six 14th century misericords, and an impressive Victorian organ.