St Andrew’s Church serves a village of approximately 1200 people. It is a well-loved and well-used building, with a very active congregation.
The church is one of the largest in Rutland. Its impressive, 100-foot tower can be glimpsed across the rolling countryside from several miles distance. The church is built of local Barnack stone, with a spacious interior. The earliest parts of the church date from the 13th century. Extensive building work in the 14th century doubled the height of the roof and added the tower. A Victorian restoration and refurbishment was overseen by Sir Gilbert Scott. Notable features include numerous carved ‘gargoyle’ heads, and a medieval wooden screen which was imported from the old chapel at St John’s College, Cambridge.
Visitors of all ages are offered a warm welcome to St Andrew’s. An active, friendly church for the whole village community. Worship reflecting the breadth of Anglican tradition, from traditional Prayer Book, through Common Worship to family-friendly. We understand that children aren’t always quiet and offer a well-stocked toy cupboard! Coffee is served after the service.