Our historyBuilt: 1793/1876/1958
Architect: R Parkinson
Listing: not listed
Originally built in the late 18th century as a "Chapel of Ease' in the parish of St Mary Lambeth, St Anne's Church was rebuilt in 1876 to designs by the architect R Parkinson. After bomb damage during the Second World War, it was again rebuilt in 1958. On this occasion the building was divided horizontally by the insertion of a reinforced concrete floor to provide a church hall at semi-basement level and the church itself at first floor level above.
A Lady Chapel has been formed within the apse at first floor level which is separated from the church by a semi-glazed screen.
In 1990, work was carried out to provide disabled access to both the church and the hall. This work included the installation of two wheelchair stair lifts, and the remodelling of the front paved garden on South Lambeth Road to provide a ramp up into the building.
More recently a major extension has been constructed to provide a new entrance to the church and a new community meeting room plus ancillary facilities.
The building is of load-bearing solid brick construction, generally in London yellow stock with red brick decorations. Rubbed brick window arches are semi-circular in form, and there are masonry decorations (strings/cornices etc.) to the apse at the east end. Main roofs are slate clad on timber and steel construction.