OUR BUILDING IS CLOSED THROUGH THE CORONAVIRUS RESTRICTIONS. PLEASE SEE WEBSITE FOR OUR ONLINE EVENTS AND SERVICES
A quote from a former Archdeacon on a visit to Whitley Lower
“A Cathedral in the Hills” dedicated to St Mary and St Michael and situated in the delightful village of Whitley.
It is part of the United Benefice of Thornhill and Whitley.
The Church stands proud in the rural village of Whitley Lower which is set around the two villages of Briestfield and Whitley bordering the larger parish of Thornhill within the Benefice. The Church was built in 1846 by the Wheatley family who had mills in nearby Lower Hopton where many Whitley people worked