St. George's is to be found in the heart of the village, below the Castle Inn. It was built in Victorian times as a school and worship centre and consecrated to St George the Martyr on April 22nd 1945. The congregation is drawn from the village of Holcombe and from Dawlish and Teignmouth. They value the friendliness and community spirit that a smaller church can provide.
There is a beautiful garden alongside the Church which many value as a place for prayer and quiet reflection. The garden is open all the time, although only accessible up a few steps. The church itself is open everyday between at least the hours of 10 am and 4 pm, often for longer.
In 2017, to mark the 150th anniversary of the original building, a major building project on our small church rooms was undertaken. As a result of this we now have step free access via the refurbished Church Rooms into the Church when any services or events are taking place.
As well as Sunday services, we host a small but lively Messy Church, a midweek service of Holy Communion or Quiet Reflection, a monthly "Drop In" with tea cake, games and knitting for a purpose, a Bible Study, a discussion group over a meal at the local pub and a monthly lunch club in conjunction with the Residents' Association.
We pray for the work of St George's Baghdad, and the Foundation for Relief and Reconciliation in the Middle East, and send humanitarian aid to the Middle East via Samara's Aid.
In the week before the centenary of the Armistice, St George's hosted in conjunction with the local community, a Commemorative Display entitled "100 Years On".
Please see our website: www.cofe-in-dawlish.org.uk/holcombe