The Parish of Templeton consists of the village which has about 15 houses and the Church of St Margaret, the hamlet of Templeton Bridge which is about one mile North West of the village with 8 houses, and the surrounding countryside which has a mixture of traditional Devon farms and smallholdings. The total area is about 5 square miles and the number of people in the Parish is about 110.
St Margaret’s Church was originally built in the 13th Century by the Knights of the Templar when returning from the Holy Land. The Church started as a chapel which was attached to Witheridge. It fell into disrepair and was “beautified” in 1740. However, within 100 years it was again in need of major repair. In 1878 this work was completed. Since then the fabric has been well maintained and any necessary work has been carried out in good time.
There are usually two services each month, one of which is Morning Prayer and Holy Communion and the other is a Family Service using the 1928 prayer book or the Exe Valley Family Service Sheet. All Bible readings are read by members of the congregation. The hymns are chosen from either Junior Praise or Complete Anglican Hymns old and new. Coffee and biscuits are provided for the congregation after each service.