All Saints Church Combeinteignhead is open daily for visitors, and a service is normally held every Sunday.
The first mention of a church on this site occurs in a Bishop’s Register of 1259, when Sir Henry de Brattone was instituted as Rector. However, the fine Norman font, with its cable twist and star mountings, provides evidence of a church in the 11th century. The earliest parts of the present building, such as the east wall of the south transept, may date from this period.
Much of the carved oak rood screen dates from around 1450, while the Elizabethan carved bench ends in the north transept are among the finest in the country. There are ancient memorial tablets, and a fine arched altar tomb. The restoration work of 1850 and 1887 includes windows depicting the Ascension and the Good Shepherd.
As the original title of the church is unknown, it was dedicated to ‘All Saints’ by the Bishop of Exeter in 1986.
The Turret clock of All Saints Church was made by Thomas Comins Pollard of Crediton in 1852 whilst he was working in London for EJ Dent. In the same year Dent had won the commission to manufacture the ‘Great Clock’ later known as Big Ben. All Saints turret clock is currently subject to a local appeal for its restoration. (2017)