Originally on this site there was an old thatched chapel which dated from 1146 and was possibly the oldest Chantry in the diocese. In Mr Baring Gould's Book of Dartmoor he states: 'At Sticklepath was a curious old cob thatched chapel, but this was unnecessarily destroyed and a modern erection of no interest or beauty has taken its place.' This is referring to the current church of St Mary which was built in 1875.
The only relic that remains from the old chapel is the fragment of stone, with red and blue colouring, which could be a figure of Mary in a blue robe, and is now set in one of the recesses in the sanctuary. The new church has a north porch and an apsidal chancel which is divided from the nave by a plain arch.
The roof of the nave is open timbered and that of the chancel panelled. The east window representing the crucifixion was given in 1871 in memory of George Henry and Mary Jackson. The west window was erected in 1913 by John Cook in memory of his parents John and Mary who died in 1852 and 1882. There is a small octagonal font. In 1950 the whole of the belfry was demolished, as a lot of the rafters were completely rotten, and then rebuilt. The church, despite years of desecration and decay, has survived. It was served by Sampford Courtney until 1933 when it joined with Belstone.