We are the Church of England parish church for Kingswear village. We are currently holding public worship in line with Church of England advice from Government and Public Health England. So our Sunday services at 10.30am in church have restarted but are a little different to try to keep everyone safe. Please see details in our News story about services restarting.
The church building will also be open for visitors and private prayer from 10am-4pm on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 23rd July 2020.
We will continue to publish recorded services online via the Brixham Mission Community Youtube and Facebook pages (from 8am on Sundays) and also have a live, interactive midday prayer on Wednesdays via Zoom (please get in touch for details on [email protected]).</span>
Here are some online and other resources that you can use to pray and worship at home. See below some useful links to click on (or copy and paste into your web browser).
1. You can read daily Bible meditations by our Team Vicar John Gay on Brixham Mission Community Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BrixhamMissionCommunity/
2. Use the weblink below and scroll down until you find the Church of England Morning, Day, Evening and Night prayers for each day. You can also scroll further down that same page and find the Daily Prayer App to download to your mobile device, free of charge: https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/join-us-service-daily-prayer
3. You can read and download our own Morning and Evening Prayer booklets to use at home each day from the News/Notice Sheets section of this website.
4. You can join in our online Sunday services via the Brixham Mission Community Youtube account or its Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BrixhamMissionCommunity/ and their YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSYaWUEyKF5F40itxoS6nKQ/videos
5. You can also listen to live and recorded weekday and Sunday worship services on the BBC. More details here:
BBC Radio 4 - Daily Service: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wzfs
BBC Radio 4 - Sunday Worship: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnds
7. If you know someone without a computer or access to the internet, please let them know about the Daily Hope worship available on the telephone. They offer music, prayers and reflections as well as full worship services on the phone 24 hours a day. You can see the information here.
Our Church History:
The history of our church includes a tower dating back to 1173 and some of its features include the lid of the tomb of Brother Philip, who looked after the church in the 1200s and is a descendant of one of the soldiers who murdered Thomas Beckett, to whom the church is dedicated.
Memorials in the church include those to notable local servicemen who lost in World War I and the Falklands War. More details on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_St_Thomas_of_Canterbury,_Kingswear