Church of England Diocese of Exeter Dean Prior

About Us

The Church of St. George the Martyr, Dean Prior, is a delightful 14th Century church offering a rich heritage, a warm welcome and an atmosphere of friendly fellowship and quiet, spiritual reflection. 

The morning services are traditional with Holy Communion from the Book of Common Prayer on most Sundays; we enjoy a range of hymns, traditional and modern. On the second Sunday of the month, instead of the morning service, there is a "Songs of Praise" type service in "The Studio" in Dean Prior at 5.00pm.

The village surrounding the church once included a school and cottages, but many of these were pulled down to build the new road, and as a result the church only has a few neighbouring houses, while much of the parish is the other side of the A38 Devon Expressway.

The parish is part of the Dart and Avon Mission Community, together with:
    St Luke's, Buckfastleigh
    St Matthew, Landscove
    St Paul de Leon, Staverton
    St John the Baptist, Littlehempston
    St Petroc's, South Brent
    The Blessed Virgin Mary, Rattery.

The team rector for the whole mission community is Tom Benson - please see the "get in touch" page for details. He is assisted by a ministry team consisting of team vicar Gina Radford, curate Laura McAdam, retired priests George Day, John Summers, Peter Taylor and Charles Masheder, and four readers: John Vinton, Jenny Holton, David Harwood and Pam Saunders.

For more details, both of our church, and of the other churches, including a list of services in the current and following month, and full contact details, please see the mission community website, www.dartandavonmissioncommunity.org.uk

We are a small congregation of largely retired parishioners who love Dean Prior Church and we also very much welcome young people and families.

There is a warm welcome at Dean, but you are advised to wrap up warmly in the winter months when visiting the church!

Lovers of the 17th century English poet Robert Herrick may be aware that he was the Dean Prior Vicar from 1629 to 1674, except during the Cromwellian period when he was evicted.

PLEASE NOTE - there is parking behind the church, (reached by turning off the southbound A38 immediately beyond the church), and also a few spaces in front of the church. Please take great care - the A38 is very busy!

For further information please see our website