St Mary's Church was built in the 14th century and is a fine example of churches built during this time in the South Hams district. The building is made using local dark slate. It is a Grade II* listed building. As the church is situated atop a high ridge, the village was thereafter named "Church-stow". In 1220, Churchstow was the parent town of Kingsbridge.