About the building
A collegiate church was founded here in c. 1050 and dedicated to St Nectan, but the main surviving fabric dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. The church was restored c. 1850 and in 1910-1911, but retains much early fabric and features. It comprises nave, chancel, north and south aisles, transept chapels and porches, and the 128ft high west tower. Features of the interior include a 14th-century trefoiled piscina in the chancel; restored medieval wagon roofs; a fine 15th-century rood screen, with evidence of ancient colouring throughout; a restored medieval pulpit; and a late Norman font. The bells were cast in 1826. Throughout the church are 60 mural monuments on the walls and floors.