We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
This church, with a small but dedicated congregation, is a part of the Shirwell Mission Community. Holy Communion services are held monthly on the third Sunday of the month at 9.30am. The church holds regular community events, and supports the local school where possible.
The church, dedicated to St Thomas, is a Grade 2* listed building. It is first mentioned in 1275 when Hamilton de Heanton was appointed rector. The Wolf family were the founders of the church and held the Manor until the 16th century.
Restoration of the church was carried out 1873-75, when the north aisle was added, the chancel enlarged, and the chapel extended. The work was carried out for Revd Thomas Openshaw, who was an absentee Rector and Patron living in Ramsbottom near Manchester, and believed to have had connections with the textile industry.
The church consists a Sanctuary, Chancel, North Aisle, Nave, Tower and incomplete Openshaw Chapel. The 15th century tower contains six bells which are rung on special occasions by a team mustered from around the Mission Community.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below