Church of England Diocese of Exeter Saint John the Evangelist Sutton-on-Plym with Saint Simon Plymouth and Saint Mary the Virgin Laira

About Us

St Mary’s Church stands on the hillside, overlooking the River Plym and the Laira railway yard, it is a striking reminder to those who live and work here, or are passing through on their way into Plymouth centre, of the Gospel message of Jesus Christ, which has been preserved and passed on for over 2,000 years.  It was commonly known as the ‘railway parish’ because of the church’s close links with the workforce.

St  Mary’s church, was dedicated in 1914  to the glory of God, and in honour of Our Lady by the Bishop of Exeter, Dr Archibald Robertson,