A thousand years ago, there was a record of just one settlement called "Taui" & it was only after the 2 churches of St Peter & St Mary were founded that our village started to be known as Mary Tavy. The church is a typical Dartmoor perpendicular style; although Roger de Okeston was named as rector in 1270, earliest parts of the current building date from the 15th century. Further changes were made to the interior in the 1890s with some typical work by the Pinwill sisters.
In the reign of Queen Victoria, the Buller family held sway in the village & it was the so-called Oxford movement which informed their style of worship. That, which we now often refer to as Anglo-Catholicism, places high store on the sacraments & nearly all services are eucharistic, some with incense. Many midweek church feast days are also commemorated, please see our website for details.
Probably the most well-known occupant of the churchyard is William Crossing, whose "Guide to Dartmoor" and extensive writings about the Moor remain valuable reference works for walkers & visitors.